Home Forums feature requests Export/Font Sizes/Capital Gains

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  istwok 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

darrowk
    Participant

From David E:

“The first feature request I have is to add the ability to export the cash flow and other reports. That exporting could be via email or even saving locally to a PDF file. I have poor, uncorrectable vision and trying to analyze the results, even on a 10-inch tablet, is not fun. Being able to move the results to my PC with its much larger screen would be very nice.

The second feature request is also related to my poor vision. That would be to add the ability to use larger font sizes. I know that using font sizes that are comfortable for me isn’t practical. However, even an option to increase the size by just a few points would be very helpful.

Finally, I have significant, unrealized, capital gains in most of my taxable accounts. I would like to see those gains accounted for during the withdrawal phase. I don’t expect them to make much difference in my taxes until I start taking Social Security, but it would still be nice to see the impact, both before SS and RMDs.”

• This topic was modified 11 months ago by  darrowk.

darrowk
    Participant

Good news, you can export results right now! Tap the Envelope icon at the top of the Reports screen.

I will add a font size adjustment to our wish list. I’m not sure what’s involved with that, so it could have to wait until our next major release.

Can you expand on what you need in the way of capital gains accounting? We do track unrealized gains internally, and there is more detail in the Log report, but we haven’t exposed any capability for users to fine-tune that. I’d be interested in your requirements, and any suggestions for the user interface.

davidg
    Participant

I just did some testing on an Android 7.0 phone. In the phone Accessibility menu, I set “Font Size” to “Largest” and the application appeared ok in Portrait and Landscape. When I set the “Display Size” to “Large” (the largest setting on my phone), some screens were clipped in Portrait, however they appeared correctly in Landscape (with more scrolling around).

Let me know if this does not help or you have a specific device/screen that is problematic, I will take a look.

David

istwok
    Participant

FYI, I am the David E. to whom Darrow refers above.

Darrow, close to 40% of my taxable portfolio is unrealized, capital gains. If I use the default option of using average share price when I start withdrawing money, that means about 40% of those withdrawals will be subject to capital gains taxes. As I understand CIRY?, it doesn’t account for that tax liability on existing, unrealized gains. It only accounts for the liability on future gains.

DavidG, I do use Android’s display size setting. It’s a balancing act, though. Increasing it, does indeed result in larger fonts in all apps. At some point, however, as you saw in portrait mode with CIRY?, it causes clipping. Sometimes that’s just annoying, but sometimes it affects functionality. Unfortunately, that point can be different for different apps. It would be nice if Android allowed display size to be set individually for some apps, but it doesn’t. For me, setting display size to either of the two largest values makes CIRY? much nicer, but it breaks other things. If it helps, using a font size comparable to the main font used in Android settings, would be a huge improvement for me.

David

darrowk
    Participant

David, thanks for expanding on your capital gains needs. The CIRY modeling engine does support the concept of a ‘Tax Basis’ on Taxable Accounts, but we haven’t exposed it in the user interface yet. That would let you set the proportion of an initial balance that’s already been taxed. The rest would be treated as unrealized gains going forward. I believe that would offer the functionality you need.

I’ve elevated the priority for getting this into the user interface, but can’t promise a timeline until we assess other tasks. Thanks again.

istwok
    Participant

Thanks, Darrow. I figured that was the case.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.